Sharekhan was incorporated in February 2000 and ranks India’s 3rd largest full-service stockbroker after ICICI Direct and HDFC Securities. The broker provides brokerage services through its online trading website Sharekhan.com and 1800 offices that include branches & franchises in over 550 cities across India. The stockbroker also has an international presence in the UAE and Oman. Let’s have a look at Sharekhan Review along with their features, trading apps & platforms, charges, and account opening.
Sharekhan offers its services to all kinds of customers that include individual investors and traders, corporate, institutional, and NRI’s. It provides trade execution facilities to its customers for equity cash and derivatives segments on BSE and NSE, commodities trading facilities on MCX and NCDEX. The Stock Broker also offers depository services (Demat account) and the option to invest in mutual funds and IPOs.
Sharekhan.com is one of the finest investment portals for the Indian stock market. The well-designed website provides a wide range of investment options, share market news, research reports, stock quotes, fundamental and statistical info across equity, mutual funds, IPOs in India, and much more.
Sharekhan provides investment advice, stock tips, quarterly company result analysis and news alerts to its customers through email, SMS and also on its website. All this information is analyzed and published by its own research teams.
Sharekhan Account Types
The Broker offers many services that include trading in equity, F&O, and Commodity and investment in IPO’s, Mutual Funds, Insurance, Bonds, and NCDs. The Stock Broker also provides Sharekhan Demat Account and registered as a depository participant with NSDL and CDSL.
Sharekhan offers a verity of accounts according to its customer requirements. These accounts include:
- First Step Account
- Classic Account
- Trade Tiger Account
- Portfolio Mgmt Services (PMS)
- Platinum Circle Account.
Sharekhan Trading Platforms
Trading Software’s provided by the online broker offers to trade in equity, commodity, and currency at BSE, NSE, MCX, and NCDEX.
Sharekhan trading platforms are available for free to its customers through below mentioned 4 types of online trading software:
- TradeTiger (Trading Terminal)
- Website (Web Trading)
- App (Mobile Trading)
- Mini (Low bandwidth App)
Sharekhan Plans and Charges
The broker, Sharekhan have multiple plans & charges, here is my review:
Sharekhan Account Charges
Account Opening Fees & Annual maintenance charges (AMC) offered by the broker
|Description||Charges||Type of Charges|
|Trading Account Opening Charges||₹0 (Free)||One Time|
|Trading Annual maintenance charges||₹0 (Free)||AMC|
|Demat Account Opening Charges||Included in trading account opening charges||One Time|
|Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges||₹400 (Free for 1st year with the trading account.)||AMC|
Sharekhan Trading Brokerages Charges
Sharekhan brokerage charges and Brokerage Fee are as follows:
|Type of Trade||Charges / Fee|
|Equity Cash Intra-day Trades||0.10% on the buy-side|
|Equity Delivery Trades||0.50% or 10 paisa per share or ₹16 per scrip whichever is higher|
|F&O Trades||0.10% on the first leg and 0.10% if squared off on any other day|
|Options Trades||2.50% or ₹250 per lot on the premium (whichever is higher)|
|Currency Options||2.50% or ₹30 per lot on the premium (whichever is higher)|
Sharekhan Minimum Brokerage Fee and Charges
The Sharekhan minimum Brokerage fee and Brokerage charges are as follows:
|Type of Trade||Brokerage Fee / Charges|
|For Intra-day Trades||Sharekhan charges a minimum brokerage of 5 paise per share|
|For Delivery Based Trades||Sharekhan charges a minimum brokerage fee of 10 paise per share|
|Minimum DP charges||DP charges of ₹16 per scrip are charged when the total traded value is ₹3200 or less in case of sell transaction|
How to Open a Demat Account with Sharekhan?
For online trading, an investor or trader has to open an account with them. Following are the ways to open a Demat account with it:
- You just need to drop your phone number on their website and their Customer Service Executive will call you back for trading & Demat account.
- You can simply call their customer care.
Sharekhan Pros and Cons
- The broker offers various trading platforms to suit its customer requirements.
- The broker offers different brokerage slabs to suit individual customer’s requirements.
- They provide online & offline classroom training, seminars, and workshops to investors.
- It doesn’t charge any fee for Online Funds Transfer from the bank account and Funds Pay-out to the bank account.
- Sharekhan doesn’t charge any fee or brokerage for DP transactions.
- The broker has an India-wide network of branches that makes it easy to reach the broker.
- Call & Trade facility is offered at no cost by the broker.
- The broker allows fixed deposit as collateral for future and option trading to its all customers.
- Sharekhan doesn’t offer a 3-in-1 account like ICICIdirect & HDFCsec as they don’t provide banking services.
- The brokerage charges are % based which are on higher-end with comparison to other flat fee brokers.
- The Stock Broker charges a minimum brokerage of 10 paise per stock would not let you trade stocks below ₹20.
- Classic account holders cannot trade commodities on their platform.
Sharekhan Exposure Margin
Sharekhan leverage for intraday, delivery, options, currency, and commodities for its customers.
|Equity Delivery||Upto 5x with 24% interest per year|
|Equity Intraday||Upto 10x|
|Equity Future||2x for Intraday|
|Commodity Future||Upto 2x for Intraday|
Sharekhan Review – Conclusion
The broker is listed as the 3rd largest retail stockbroker in India after HDFC Securities & ICICI Direct. The broker provides full services brokerages but it doesn’t offer a 3-in-1 account like other 3-in-1 account brokers. One of the main disadvantages of the company is higher brokerage charges compared to other full-service brokers.
In my Sharekhan Review, I’ve tried to conclude all aspects. If I forgot something or you’ve any query, please let me know in comment section.